Designed for cinema and high-resolution video production, the RED SCARLET-W DSMC2 cinema camera features the DRAGON 5K Super 35 CMOS sensor and REDCODE RAW imaging pipeline. Shooting in 5K gives the production an edge in the post process, even in 4K deliverables, as the greater-than-4K resolution
REDCODE RAW is the format of choice for the SCARLET-W. RED's versatile raw codec uses wavelet compression to reduce data rates while maintaining a visually lossless image rendering. This efficient codec can be edited on many available NLE software programs without transcoding, though if you prefer a proxy workflow, ProRes or DNx files can be recorded simultaneously to the MINI-MAG media.
Lowering the recording resolution allows the sensor to capture higher frame rates for dramatic slow-motion footage. The SCARLET-W's DRAGON sensor windows to record slow motion, requiring wider lenses to compensate for the additional crop.
All of the SCARLET-W's power is enclosed in a relatively small body constructed out of aluminum. The BRAIN's size, or lack thereof, makes it very versatile. From studio tripod configuration to handheld and gimbal, drone, or vehicle mounted situations, the SCARLET-W can handle it all, providing cinema-grade footage that punches above the camera's weight. The camera BRAIN is compatible with DSMC2 accessories.
- 5K DRAGON Sensor
- As the successor to the stalwart 5K Mysterium-X sensor, the 5K DRAGON CMOS sensor brings extra resolution, dynamic range, and color depth to the table. The DRAGON design is not a rehash of a previous fabrication. Working from the ground up, the team at RED developed this sensor with an updated color science, while making additional improvements in dynamic range and sensitivity. Different separately available OLPFs (Optical Low-Pass Filters) can be exchanged for the included standard OLPF for more creative options that can improve highlight handling, skin tone rendering, or low-light performance.
- REDCODE RAW
- The cornerstone of RED's workflow is the robust REDCODE RAW file format. Using wavelet compression with ratios ranging from 2:1 to 22:1, REDCODE RAW offers the versatility of raw files without the overwhelming storage requirements of uncompressed image data. Since REDCODE RAW has been around since the days of the RED ONE cinema camera, many common NLE software programs including Adobe Premiere Pro, Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve, Apple Final Cut Pro, and Avid Media Composer can import and edit REDCODE RAW footage without transcoding, saving production time in the edit suite.
Note: Not all compression ratios are available at all resolutions and frame rates
- Apple ProRes and Avid DNx Formats
- For projects requiring proxy files or quicker turnaround times than raw files permit, Apple ProRes or Avid DNx formats can be recorded at 4K and 2K resolutions directly to the onboard MINI-MAG media. Since these debayered video files can be recorded alongside the raw files, no extra time is required for transcoding the proxies. Bring the debayered files straight into your NLE and begin editing.
- DSMC2 Form Factor
- Like the preceding DSMC cameras, RED designed the DSMC2 camera line to be modular to fit a wide range of production workflows. Smaller and lighter than the original DSMC design, when stripped down to the BRAIN itself, the SCARLET-W becomes a gimbal workhorse. Likewise, add DSMC2 modules to the rear to gain professional I/O connections and battery power. Many other parts of the DSMC2 design are meant to be interchangeable. Swap out the lens mounts to open up new libraries of lenses. You can also mount an EVF without cables that can get snagged, or use a separately available adapter to attach RED LCDs via LEMO cable.
- Color Management
- Supports 17x17x17 3D LUTs
Variable number of 3D LUT outputs with DSMC2 expander module
User-programmable shaper 1D LUTs
Tetrahedral interpolation, 16-bit processing
In the BoxRED DIGITAL CINEMA SCARLET-W BRAIN with DRAGON 5K Sensor (Standard OLPF, Compatible with DSMC2 Accessories)
- DSMC Front Body Cap
- DSMC2 Standard OLPF with Case
- Limited 1-Year Warranty